Monday, November 8, 2010

Carter's adoption story

We started the adoption process again at the end of last year (2009). At the end of January we were approved to adopt. We were worried this time that it would take longer for our babies birth mother to find us, or for us to find a her. In the middle of July we received a phone call from a neighbor, lets call her L, who used to be our pediatricians medical assistant. She is also wanting to adopt, but wants a girl because she already has 2 boys. L went to get her dog groomed, and her friend that works there knew someone that was pregnant with a boy that wanted to adopt her baby out. L immediately thought of us! So we got the birth mothers phone number and called her the next day! I was so nervous to talk to her and didn't really know what to say. I must have said something that was meaningful to her! We had our case worker call her and she set up an appointment with our agency. Before Carter was born his birth mother and I would text all day everyday. We never actually got to meet her, and I hope someday we can.
The doctor thought Carter would come early, but he decided to come on his due date! September 29th! I was at McDonald's with friends and received a text that said she was in the hospital and that it would probably happen that day! I almost started crying right in the middle of McDonald's! Well I did get tears in my eyes. That day had finally come!!! So we went home and my mom came over to take Ady. We got to the hospital around 6:30pm and they gave us our own room to stay in while we were there. Before Carter was born we walked around the hospital and hung out in our room. The anticipation was killing us! Carter was finally born at 8:35pm. They took him to the nursery right after he was born then brought us in. We stayed in the hospital for 2 nights and finally got to bring our sweet boy home! We have been blessed with another easy baby :) He likes to eat A LOT! And he is very sleepy too! He has slept through the night twice, and we are hoping to get that sleeping through the night thing down soon! I took him to the doctor last Friday night because he wasn't waking up to eat and I saw the white splotches on his tongue and knew it was thrush. He already weighs 11lbs 15oz!!!
We are so grateful and feel so blessed to be able to adopt our sweet baby boy. The Lord truly has his hands in the adoption process. We are hoping to finalize quick and have our baby boy blessed and sealed to us soon!

5 comments:

Hansen Family said...

What a beautiful story, thank you so much for sharing it with us. He is a handsome little guy.

The Evans Family said...

That is so awesome Shelby! Congratulations to all of you. He is just darling.

Amber said...

So glad Carter found his way to your family. I can't think of a better place! Hope you're getting sleep! :)

And yes, being married is so fun!! I should have listened to you a long time ago! :)

Shannon said...

I am so happy for you guys. What a cute little baby. And now that you are two for two on easy kids maybe it's more than just the kids. I think you guys have your parenting skills down pretty good. I need to learn from you guys!

Valory said...

He is so beautiful Shels! I'm so happy for you guys!